Monday, April 08, 2013

Untitled

Do life experiences cause growth, or does a desire to grow through something cause growth? 

You hear it all the time:  Everything happens for your good. 

Is that Biblical though? 
Let's look at the scripture people use to back that statement up:  Romans 8:28

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
 
 
Ok, so we see that the Bible says: "We know that all things work together for good."
 
Does this mean that everything happens for good? 
 
I'm not sure, but personally, I don't think so. 
 
I think that sometimes things just happen because it's life.  Does someone die for your good?  Other than Christ: I have to say no.  Death is not for 'our good.'  It is just life. 
 
Ecclesiastes 3 says this: "All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again." 
 
We all will pass the way of the flesh, through the dark valley of death, and hopefully into the loving arms of our Savior. 
 
Life is to be born, and to die.  Sure, we live in between, but only one thing is certain in life:  death. 
 
I believe that God will work everything for good in the end, but I do not believe that all things are done for our good.  Life is life, and it isn't pretty all of the time.
 
Now on to a somewhat related topic:
 
Do I believe that one can 'grow' through a difficult time?  Absolutely.  Do all of us?  No. 
 
This weekend, I was around a group of people, and as I looked around, I saw those who had grown through adversity, and those who had stagnated.  Those who maybe hadn't experienced as much adversity as others, and honestly, those who hadn't suffered as much were...immature. 
 
I look around so many times and wonder how people can be so petty, how they can be so irreverent of life. 
 
I can't comprehend how those my own age can still be so caught up in teenaged angst, immaturity, and petty pursuits. 
 
Cliques abound, disdainful looks fly, and people continue in their immaturity.
 
I have heard it said:  "Be kind to everyone you meet, because everyone is fighting their own battle." 
 
I wonder at the lack of maturity in our young adults today, and I pray that something changes.  We can't really win the lost until we break out of our selfish immaturity.  We can't reach the hurting if we're too concerned with our friends and being part of the 'in group.' 
 
Wisdom and grace don't only have to come when our bodies have grown old.  We can be seeking those two honorable things now...

No comments: