Tuesday, February 19, 2013


“Quit your worship charades.  I can’t stand your trivial religious games:
Monthly conferences, weekly Sabbaths, special meetings—  meetings, meetings, meetings—I can’t stand one more!  Meetings for this, meetings for that. I hate them!  You’ve worn me out!
I’m sick of your religion, religion, religion, while you go right on sinning.
When you put on your next prayer-performance, I’ll be looking the other way.
No matter how long or loud or often you pray, I’ll not be listening.
And do you know why? Because you’ve been tearing people to pieces, and your hands are bloody.
Go home and wash up.  Clean up your act.  Sweep your lives clean of your evildoings so I don’t have to look at them any longer.  Say no to wrong.  Learn to do good.  Work for justice.  Help the down-and-out.  Stand up for the homeless.  Go to bat for the defenseless.”  --Isaiah 1:  13-17  The Message

Clear the Stage - Jimmy Needham
Clear the stage and set the sound and lights ablaze if that’s the measures you must take to crush the idols, jerk the pews and all the decorations too until the congregations fuel and have revival.  Tell your friends that this is where the party ends, until you’re broken for your sins you can’t be social.  And seek the Lord and wait for what he has in store and know that great is your reward so just be hopeful
‘Cause you can sing all you want to, yes you can, sing all you want to, you can sing all you want to and still get it wrong.  Worship is more than a song.
Take a break from all the plans that you have made and sit at home alone and wait for God to whisper.  Beg him please to open up his mouth and speak and pray for real upon your knees until they blister.  Shine the light on every corner of your life until the pride and lust and lies are in the open and read the word and put to test the things you heard until your heart and soul are stirred and rocked and broken.
‘Cause you can sing all you want to, yes you can, sing all you want to, you can sing all you want to and still get it wrong.  Worship is more than a song.
We must not worship something that’s not even worth it. 
 
Clear the stage and make some space for the one who deserves it. 
 
Everything I put before my God is an idol. 
Anything I want with all my heart is an idol. 
Anything I can’t stop thinking of is an idol. 
Anything that I give all my love is an idol.
‘Cause I can sing all you want to, yes I can, sing all we want to, we can sing all we want to and still get it wrong.  Worship is more than a song.
Clear the stage and set the sound and lights ablaze if that’s the measures we must take to crush the idols.

2 comments:

jen lord said...

Gotta love Jimmy (and Isaiah!).

Jana McVay said...

Amen sister Bekki!! Amen!