Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Little Bit Stronger...

I was listening to a song today, and though the theme of the song didn't resonate with me, this quote did:


"Even on my weakest days, I get a little bit stronger..."


I had to think about how true that is.


Some days, I just don't like me.


I don't like how I look, I don't like how I talk.


I don't like my methods of communication, I don't like my lack of discipline in certain areas.


Sometimes, it's very difficult to like ourselves, since we know, intimately, all of our faults and failures.


I will go further and say that this probably impacts women more than it does men, though I know there are exceptions to that.


But even on those days where I critique myself far more than anyone else would even consider, even on those days that I wish I could just erase parts of me and paste something else there, even on the days when I can't stop crying because I just can't be who and what I want to be...

I get a little bit stronger.


Why, you ask?


Because you realize you can't quit life, and you have to go on.


The world doesn't stop spinning because of an event or feeling in your life.


You realize that feelings are just that: feelings.


Sure, they're important to life: if you don't feel, you don't laugh, you don't cry with joy, you don't feel the burst of joy so much that you can't contain it when someone you love, loves you back.


But the negative feelings are just as fleeting as any other.


Each day you live and survive, you get a little bit stronger.


And I for one, am thankful for that.

No comments: